Mining Project Manager at Finsch Mine – Petra Diamonds
2-YEAR FIXED-TERM CONTRACT
CLOSING DATE: JANUARY 30, 2022
POSITION GRADE: D4
ROLE DESCRIPTION: Reporting to the Manager: Mining, the role will be responsible for implementing the projects business plan for the underground sections and executing the plan to achieve production targets, safely and within limits. budgeted financial goals, resourcing production/project sections to achieve maximum efficiency utilization of equipment and labor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- LOM Mine Design: Contribute to mine design parameters for expansion projects in accordance with accepted best practices and operational functionality.
- Monitor and contribute to the development and maintenance of short and long term plans (LOMs), mine design and materials handling that contribute to meeting production targets, mining efficiency and health goals , safety, environment and quality (HSEQ).
- Interpret production requirements to develop a project plan and necessary services (roads, transportation, ventilation, ablutions, etc.) to ensure efficient use of resources and achievement of production and project objectives.
- Responsible for ensuring that segment objectives for primary production functions (ground support) and support services (wells and ancillary services) are achieved in accordance with the business plan in terms of safety, performance and cost.
- Responsible for ensuring delivery of projects within agreed safety performance, time, budget and quality. Control and coordinate all activities to achieve optimum production throughput, process efficiency, product safety and information integrity.
- Contribute to the department budget.
- Manage the budget for the area of responsibility.
- Responsible for generating cost reduction ideas.
- Responsible for ensuring delivery of safe project objectives within required quality standards and budget, within area of responsibility, incorporating and aligning all relevant business factors (i.e. organizational requirements , resource utilization, reserve optimization, cost reduction initiatives, standardization and continuous improvement) .
- Implement processes, systems, products or new mining production developments in various sections to integrate opportunities and mitigate gaps to ensure continuous improvement and alignment with best practices, policies and mining plans.
- Implement, coordinate and control process maintenance standards, specifications and service levels for are under his responsibility.
- Coordinate and control project schedules, sequences and assignments for work activities, based on job responsibility, priority, amount of equipment and staff skills.
- Provide project-related expertise and skills to operations; advise on solutions to improve or ensure the efficiency of the operation.
- Ensure capacity and strength of functional talent pool by coordinating, directing and directing project talent within area of responsibility.
- Engage internal and external stakeholders on project related issues and support the operation on project related engagement.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships and an effective/strong communication system with operations.
- Ensure that all reports are aligned with standards, guidelines and schedules and are provided in a timely manner to facilitate effective decision making.
- Monitor and evaluate performance against established strategies, frameworks, systems and programs, and identify and advise on opportunities for improvement to provide assurance to the Mining Manager.
- Responsible for responding to risks and audit findings in the various sections of the area of responsibility.
- Participate in a sustainable process to identify, assess and categorize project risks relevant to the operation, to promote a culture of project and risk awareness, to ensure that any potential impact is understood and to facilitate decision making. effective decision-making, project risk mitigation and provide this as input into the ERM program.
- Contribute to the identification, analysis and interpretation of project risks within the operation and contribute to the design and implementation of strategies and systems to mitigate risk and prevent and reduce risk loss of transaction assets. Provide this as input to the ERM program.
- Behave in accordance with the company’s security vision and values.
- Identify and interpret security risks and resolve emerging issues; and ensure that appropriate guidance and resources are available to achieve safety objectives.
- Participate in the development of the workforce and training needs of the mining function (i.e. recruit, select, orient, train employees and identify and develop opportunities for personal growth).
- Lead, coordinate and ensure mining workforce training requirements are conducted and updated in accordance with relevant legislation.
- Adopt a behavior consistent with the values and ethical code of conduct of the company.
- Certificate of competence for mine managers.
- A minimum of 5 years of practical mining experience in an underground production project environment of which 3 years must be as a mine supervisor and/or section head and/or production manager.
- Leadership Development Program (LDP) or equivalent qualification.
- Computer skills and Microsoft Office suite (intermediate).
- Valid driver’s license
- B Tech or B Sc degree in mining engineering.
- Massive mining experience.
- Management Development Program (MDP) or equivalent qualification.
OTHER SKILLS / COMPETENCIES:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the influence in the performance of the various business functions, taking into account the objectives set.
- Use a range of project management principles to direct, coordinate and integrate technical aspects in accordance with the project.
- Convert labor requirements, tonnage and carat requirements, equipment/machinery availability and utilization, into the operating plan.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skill in developing contingency plans for risk management.
- Demonstrate knowledge of legislative requirements applicable to mining.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of mineral processing and economics.
- Project management
- Massive mining
- Business planning of the project
- Mining legislation
- Mineral processing and economics
- Life of mine planning
Desired work experience:
- 2 to 5 years Mining of precious and semi-precious stones
- 5 to 10 years Administration / IT project management
Desired level of qualification:
About the employer:
Finsch Diamond Mine is an equal opportunity employer. Preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups in accordance with the company’s employment equity policy and plan and to internal candidates. Screening, profile testing, assessments, medical and security clearances are part of the recruitment and selection process. Preselected candidates will have to attend an interview with a jury. Hiring of the successful candidate is subject to the above criteria. Preference will be given to candidates who reside in our host labor sending area of Kgatelopele (proof of residency may be requested).
Please submit CV, qualifications and supporting documents by January 30, 2022. Incomplete documents will not be considered.
Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. Petra Diamonds reserves the right not to fill this position.
If you have not heard from us within 30 days of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Please note that Petra Diamonds does not require any form of payment for recruitment purposes at any time. If you are approached in this regard, you should immediately report the incident to your local SAPs.
Employer and Benefits:
- medical aid
- Pension funds
- Corporate housing
Find out more/Apply to this position