Microsoft Database Administrator (1 year contract) (JHB) at Datafin Recruitment
A dynamic software engineering and quality assurance consulting firm in Johannesburg is seeking an ambitious Microsoft Database Administrator with exceptional customer service and strong problem-solving skills to fill a one-year contract role. You will be responsible for the performance, integrity and security of SDE databases while providing technical expertise in the design, implementation and maintenance of database management systems. Additional duties will include reporting, data input and output, technology management, training and end user support. You must have an MCSE DBA/Oracle Associate certification with at least 3 years of Oracle database administration, 2 years of administration of advanced database platform-specific features (e.g. clustering, encryption, logical/physical standby, ETL, replication), Microsoft SQL Server 2008+ & intermediate knowledge of hardware and networking.
- Design and document the database architecture.
- Evaluate malfunctions of hardware and/or software applications to determine appropriate actions to maintain the computer,
- network and database operations.
- Create a database schema, tables, procedures, and permissions.
- Create, test and run data management languages.
- Develop database utilities and automated reports.
- Analyze and maintain capacity and performance requirements.
- Monitor the availability of systems and platforms.
- Oversee backup, clustering, mirroring, replication, and failover.
- Perform daily, weekly and monthly maintenance operations on SQL servers and databases, to ensure efficient operation of the program.
- Perform database backups and restores and recover corrupted databases.
- Evaluate and recommend new database technologies.
- Implement and maintain database security and encryption.
- Develop, manage and test database and information system backup and recovery plans.
- Develop standards and policies for data entry and ensure compliance.
- Prepare written materials to document activities, provide written references and/or convey information.
- Prepare and distribute reports, including but not limited to weekly and monthly status reports to management.
- Attend seminars, conferences, on-the-job training and staff meetings as required.
- Certifications such as MCSE DBA, Oracle Associate or equivalent experience are required.
- Minimum of 3 years performing general Oracle database administration tasks such as database implementations, backups and account maintenance.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience administering advanced database platform-specific features (e.g. clustering, encryption,
- logical/physical standby, ETL, replication).
- Experience in Microsoft SQL Server 2008+.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office applications, with emphasis on database and spreadsheet applications.
- Intermediate knowledge of hardware and networking.
- Experience in database management.
- Proficiency in database administration and management, data import and export, and reporting.
- Experience in an academic setting is preferred but not required.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and public relations.
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Able to adapt to varied roles and job responsibilities and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use a lifecycle management process for implementing technology changes.
- Ability to perform a variety of professional duties, including but not limited to representing Technology Services on various committees or working groups.
- Demonstrated ability to excel both independently and as a member of a team in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a demonstrated ability to make difficult concepts easy to understand Education/Training.
Although we would really like to respond to every application, if you are not contacted for this position within 10 working days, please consider your application unsuccessful.
When applying for a job, make sure you meet the minimum job requirements. AloneSouth African citizens will be considered for this role. If you are not at the stated location of any of the jobs, please note your relocation plans in all job applications and correspondence. Please email a word copy of your CV to [Email Address Removed] and mention the reference numbers of the works. We have a job listing on [URL Removed] Datafin IT Recruitment – Jobs in Cape Town.
Find out more/Apply to this position